The Great Dragons of the Sixth World aren't the ONLY dragons out there. Plenty of other dragons exist that have not ascended to the rank of "Great". This episode is about them, and how you should probably still be weary of dealing with them.
EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS - Jacob Heid & James O'Neil
Bamce - /r/Shadowrun subreddit moderator, Shadowrun YouTuber
Chit-Chat / Catching Up
- Redwing - How does Noise work? Not in general but with cyberdecks and technomancers? Unless you have a cyberdeck over 300,000 nuyen you are stuck with a device rating of 3 or less. And, page 421 core rulebook, under Wireless Bonuses, states that, "If there is a Noise Rating from a situation that **is greater than the item's Device Rating**, not including distance, the device temporarily loses its wireless functionality." That means any commercial area in a city or hacking from the barrens into a device in the Sprawl downtown negates the wireless use of the deck. Same with commlinks. So, if you jam an area with a noise of 5, only commlinks of rating 4+ can send messages and cyberdecks or cyberware need a device rating 4 to maintain wireless functionality. Essentially, the decker needs a Sony CIY-720, which costs 345,000 nuyen (far more than the average decker can afford). What about technomancers? When does a technomancer lose matrix connectivity? Seems like the decker get screwed, even with +1 noise reduction for using a datajack and always needing to run the Signal Scrub program for +2 noise reduction. So, how do normal people in the Shadowrun universe take their basic commlink (device rating 1 or 2) to a nightclub or restaurant in the city, and still make calls? Or, are commlinks routinely not operational due to high noise in the Shadowrun universe?
- Noise is a tensions builder for the GMs. One of its uses is to give the decker a reason to be on site with his team. Why is the Hacker not hiding in Remond while his team does a run in the Downtown? Glorious Noise!
- There are two types Noise, Distance & Static/Spam. Distance is typically device to device related where Static/Spam is environmental. Distance noise is easy reduce, get closer. Wage slaves can easily meet in a Host to ignore this penalty.
- Static / Spam Zone Noise affects your connection to the Matrix and this can cause devices to lose wireless connection if the noise is greater than the Device Rating. For Technomancers this will always be their Resonance. Jammers effective create this sort of noise.
- ‘How does Static/Spam noise affect normal people?’ Typically Seattle is going to have a noise of 1 or 2. With a Datajack, which almost everyone should have according to Data Trails, this drops Noise to 0 or 1. Even your squatter in the Barrens with a data jack can get their Metalink to work. A Technomancer with Resonance over 2 is good to go.
- Now the GM wants to create tension so he raises the stakes...You’re going into an AA zone of Bellevue which is a Commercial District in a City with a Spam Noise of 4. AA zones are swanky, people hanging out here are not using Metalinks. The wage slaves & salary men are rocking datajacks & the latest Renraku Sensei or Erika Elite making a 4 noise null sweat. A Street Runner with cheap deck like Hermes Ikon, DR 2, is going to need to keep up Signal Scrub. Established Runners should have at least a Navigator, DR 3, + a Datajack so 4 noise isn’t a problem for him either.
Main Topic - Lesser Dragons
NEXT EPISODE: Thomas Willoughby - Food in the Sixth World
CONTACT THE SHOW: